Congressmen (including Democrats) and former government officials have met with the Mujahedin-e Khalq (MEK), an organization that was designated a terrorist group in 1997 when the list was first compiled, and is STILL ON THE LIST-for now.
MEK has a very aggressive and organized lobby effort in Washington D.C. According to one House staffer, the MEK is "the most mobilized grassroots advocacy effort in the country - AIPAC included." Their mission is to be delisted as a foreign terrorist organization (FTO), push the USA to foment war with Iran, i.e. "regime change," and have themselves installed into power. Sound familiar?
They attempt to pass themselves off as the sole legitimate opposition to the Iranian regime, going so far as to claim that they are the Green Movement or the government in exile. Now there is a quiet push to have them delisted from the FTO list:
Members of Congress led by Rep. Bob Filner (D-CA) have introduced a resolution calling on the Secretary of State and the President to throw the support of the United States behind an exiled Iranian terrorist group seeking to overthrow the Iranian regime and install themselves in power. Calling the exiled organization "Iran's main opposition," Filner is urging the State Department to end the blacklisting of the Mujahedin-e Khalq (MEK) - a group listed by the State Department as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO). The resolution currently has 83 cosponsors and is gaining significant ground.
Such a move would have disastrous repercussions for the USA, and would inevitably lead to blowback considering what the MEK is about:
[F]or the record, here are the facts about the MEK (you can find this and more at www.mekterror.com):
* The State Department reports the MEK is a terrorist group that has murdered innocent Americans and maintains "the will and capacity" to commit terrorist attacks within the U.S. and beyond.
* The MEK claims to have renounced terrorism in 2001, but a 2004 FBI report states "the MEK is currently actively involved in planning and executing acts of terrorism."
* RAND and Human Rights Watch have reported that the MEK is a cult that abuses its own members.
* MEK has no popular support in Iran and has been denounced by other opposition groups such as the Green Movement.
Iran's Opposition Green Movement Rejects the MEK
* The leaders of the Green Movement, Iran's true popular opposition movement, have denounced the MEK and warned that the Iranian government seeks to discredit Iran's opposition by associating it with the MEK:
* "The Iranian Government is trying to connect those who truly love their country (the Greens) with the MEK to revive this hypocritical dead organization." - Mehdi Karroubi, Green Movement leader.
* "The MEK can't be part of the Green Movement. This bankrupt political group is now making some laughable claims, but the Green Movement and the MEK have a wall between them and all of us, including myself, Mr. Mousavi, Mr. Khatami, and Mr. Karroubi." - Zahra Rahnavard, Women's rights activist and wife of Green Movement leader Mir Hossein Mousavi
Iraqi National Congress Redux?
* The MEK claims it is "the main opposition in Iran," yet similar to Ahmad Chalabi's Iraqi National Congress that helped bring the United States into war with Iraq, the MEK is an exiled organization that has no popular support within Iran. 
* RAND reports that the MEK are "skilled manipulators of public opinion." The MEK has a global support network with active lobbying and propaganda efforts in major Western capitals.
* Members of Congress have been deceived and misinformed into supporting this terrorist organization:
* In 2002, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen led efforts for the U.S. to support the group, prompting then-Chairman and the Ranking Member of the House International Affairs Committee, Henry Hyde and Tom Lantos, to send a Dear Colleague warning against supporting the MEK. They cautioned that many Members had been "embarrassed when confronted with accurate information about the MEK." 
* In the current Congress, Rep. Ted Poe (R-TX) and Rep. Bob Filner (D-CA) have each introduced resolutions calling for MEK to be removed from the Foreign Terrorist Organization list.
A Capacity and Will to Commit Terrorist Acts in the U.S. & Beyond
* The Bush administration determined in 2007 that "MEK leadership and members across the world maintain the capacity and will to commit terrorist acts in Europe, the Middle East, the United States, Canada, and beyond."
* The Canadian and Australian governments have also designated the MEK as a terrorist organization. The Canadian government just reaffirmed its designation in December.
* An EU court removed the MEK from its list of terrorist organizations, but only due to procedural reasons. According to a spokesperson for the Council of the European Union, the EU court "did not enter into the question of defining or not the PMOI [MEK] as a terrorist organization."
Saddam Hussein's Terrorist Militia
* The MEK received all of its military assistance and most of its financial support from Saddam Hussein, including funds illegally siphoned from the UN Oil-for-Food Program, until 2003.
* The MEK helped execute Saddam's bloody crackdown on Iraqi Shia and Kurds. Maryam Rajavi, the MEK's permanent leader, instructed her followers to "take the Kurds under your tanks."
A Cult That Abuses Its Own Members
* Human Rights Watch reports that MEK commits extensive human rights abuses against its own members at Camp Ashraf, including "torture that in two cases led to death."
* A RAND report commissioned by DOD found that the MEK is a cult that utilizes practices such as mandatory divorce, celibacy, authoritarian control, forced labor, sleep deprivation, physical abuse, confiscation of assets, emotional isolation, and the imprisonment of dissident members.
* RAND concluded that up to 70% of the MEK members at their Camp Ashraf headquarters were likely recruited through deception and are kept there against their will.
* The FBI reports that the MEK's "NLA [National Liberation Army] fighters are separated from their children who are sent to Europe and brought up by the MEK's Support Network. [...] These children are then returned to the NLA to be used as fighters upon coming of age. Interviews also revealed that some of these children were told that their parents would be harmed if the children did not cooperate with the MEK. "
A History of Anti-Americanism
* One of the founding ideologies of the MEK is anti-Americanism-the MEK is responsible for murdering American businessmen, military personnel, and even a senior American diplomat.
* The MEK strongly supported the takeover of the U.S. Embassy in Tehran in 1979, vigorously opposed their eventual release, and chastise the government for not executing the hostages
The MEK was not "Added" to the FTO List as a Goodwill Gesture to Iran
* The MEK has been a designated terrorist group since the State Department established the FTO list October 8, . MEK was also listed in the Patterns on Global Terrorism report prior to 1997.
Delisting MEK: Disastrous Repercussions
This should all gives us pause. Do the elected and former government officials who support delisting the MEK know the troubling anti-American, terrorist history of the MEK? If they do, then how in good conscious can they actively push to delist them?