There are two FBI reports on MEK that were publlished in 2002 and 2004.
A 2004 FBI report on the Mujahaddin-e-Khalq (MEK) was revealed in June 2011 which states that the MEK "is actively involved in planning and executing acts of terrorism," despite the organization's alleged renunciation of terror in 2001.
The document states that the MEK "routinely lobbies unwitting members of Congress under the pretext of human rights issues in Iran," and that MEK members have endured "years of ideological training and for lack of better word ‘brain washing'."
The report also discusses cult practices by the organization, including the separation of families, stating that the children of MEK fighters are sent to Europe where they are "further indoctrinated into the organization" and "used for various social benefit fraud" to raise funds before being returned "to be used as fighters upon coming of age."
Some of the highlights (all direct quotes):
• "Los Angeles investigation has determined that the MEK is currently actively involved in planning and executing acts of terrorism." [pg 4]
• "This organization routinely lobbies unwitting members of Congress under the pretext of human rights issues in Iran. " [pg 5]
• "NLA fighters are separated from their children who are sent to Europe and brought up by the MEK's Support Network. Investigation has learned that these children are then further indoctrinated in to the organization and are often used for various social benefit fraud such as was revealed during joint FBI/Cologne Police Department investigation in Germany.
In one case one of the children was chained to a bed and only after her escape and report to local police was the fraud scheme discovered. Interviews of some of these MEK children found children fully indoctrinated into a "cult-like" organization with no regard to the welfare of the child. These children are then returned to the NLA to be used as fighters upon coming of age.
Interviews also revealed that some of these children were told that their parents would be harmed if the children did not cooperate with the MEK. Open source reporting from defecting MEK members has revealed that MEK fighters are often told the same story about their children should they take issue with MEK leadership and desire to leave the organization." [pgs 26-27]
• "The MEK, in addition to being a foreign terrorist organization, is a "cult"...MEK members and supporters often indicate that Rajavi makes his decision based on input from God." [pg 26]
• "MEK members/supporters/fighters have been through years of ideological training and for lack of better word ‘brain washing'." [pg 31]
• "This (Foreign Terrorist Organization) designation was made due to the MEK's long and violent history of past terrorist activity directed against U.S. personnel and the U.S. Embassy in Iran during the 1970s, the assassinations of multiple Americans, the MEK's ongoing acts of terrorism in Iran, and the MEK's past terrorist activities in Western Countries to include hostage taking and attacks on Iranian diplomatic establishments and officials.
• This designation was also made to send the message that the U.S. had taken the high road on terrorism and would designate any foreign group engaged in terrorist activity abroad to include not only groups that target U.S. interests, but terrorists groups that target any sovereign nation." [pg 24]
• "Additionally, the MEK continues to practice misinformation operations in the U.S. and Europe. MEK lobbyists routinely hold press conferences and pass information regarding the current Iranian government that is inaccurate and is designed to influence Western Media and governments." [pg 18]
• "Interviewers should keep in mind that membership in the MEK is a significant step in the MEK hierarchy or leadership cadre. It is safe to say that only the high echelon leadership will most admit to being MEK members." [pg 29]
• "Another tactic that the MEK has been employing is disinformation regarding former MEK members and witnesses who have come forward to testify and speak against the MEK. The MEK will brand these former members and witnesses as Iranian government agents.
• This information is often picked up by Western Intelligence agencies as factual information and is disseminated as intelligence. This further frustrates criminal investigators as they attempt to interview these former MEK members and potentially use them for testimony." Pg 18-9
The 2002 FBI document includes a report of an FBI raid of the MEK's offices in Falls Church, Virginia in December 2001. It states that the FBI discovered that "the indoor swimming pool had been drained and a floor placed over the drained pool. The area above the pool was divided into offices. In each of these offices, a hatch in the floor led into the drained swimming pool. This area was used for storage of materials..."
Among the materials discovered were "signed, blank checks," and the report states, "Confidential sources have reported to the FBI and that the NCRI and the PMOI use the signed, blank checks to pay their expenses and fund their activities."