Iran's list of official grievances against the United States
2. The oppression by the Shah, a strong ally to the United States in the Middle East until the 1979 Revolution;
3. The alleged basing of American spy operations in Iran out of the U.S. embassy in Tehran (prior to its closure due to the hostage crisis);
4. Washington's support for Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein during the brutal Iran-Iraq war of the 1980s;
5. The 1987 downing of an Iranian civilian airliner over the Persian Gulf;
6. Of late, sanctions that have severely squeezed Iran's economy.