Referring to the indiscriminate rocket warfare against civilians described as a victory by the MeK, de Mistura said, "Those who argue that this is meant to relieve the siege of eastern Aleppo should be reminded that nothing justifies the use of disproportionate and indiscriminate weapons, including heavy ones, on civilian areas and it could amount to war crimes."
Although the United Nations envoy for Syria said he is "appalled and shocked" by terrorist offensives and described them as war crimes, the MeK characterized these war crimes as "resistance in Aleppo" and said:
"Fighters of Syrian opposition launched a great and massive offensive dubbed the "great epic battle of Aleppo" during effort to break Aleppo siege and achieved stunning victories. Anas al-Abdeh, head of the opposition's Syrian National Coalition (SNC), pointed to the battle which the Syrian revolutionaries waged to break the Aleppo siege and to put an end to the regime occupation of Aleppo and said: Aleppo is writing the pages of honor. Head of the opposition's negotiating delegation to Geneva Asa'ad Alzoabi described the battle as a sign of transition from defense to offense aimed to change the military equation on the ground. Syrian rebels' victory came as the UNSC failed to achieve a political solution to the failed crisis in Syria and the US didn't change its reactive policy and didn't go further than expressing concerns and issuing warnings to Russia and mounting some political pressures by the international community."
The aforementioned "victory" in the MeK's words is the very indiscriminate rocket warfare in Aleppo by which Staffan de Mistura was "appalled and shocked". He said the rocket warfare targets civilians and dozens have died.
The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says, since the offensive began three days ago, indiscriminate rebel attacks have killed 41 civilians, including at least 17 children. The Human Rights group believes hundreds of missiles have been launched.
On Sunday, state media in Syria said rebels had used chemical weapons against government-controlled districts of Aleppo. State-run news agency SANA reported 35 cases of suffocation in terrorist chemical attack on al-Hamadaniyeh area in Aleppo city.
"Those who argue that this is meant to relieve the siege of eastern Aleppo should be reminded that nothing justifies the use of disproportionate and indiscriminate weapons, including heavy ones, on civilian areas and it could amount to war crimes," de Mistura said.
Although the MeK's media and anti-Assad groups try to attribute these attacks to the Syrian Opposition, almost all the independent media acknowledged that these offensives are conducted by groups such as Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, the former Syrian branch of al-Qaeda, or Salafist group Ahrar al Sham.
People in the city of Aleppo are forced to stay in their homes as a result of the gunfire and rocket attacks despite the ceasefire.
Earlier on July, Philip Luther, Director of the Middle East and North Africa Programme at Amnesty International, said "in Aleppo and Idleb today, armed groups have free rein to commit war crimes and other violations of international humanitarian law with impunity. Shockingly, we have also documented armed groups using the same methods of torture that are routinely used by the Syrian government."