special

The Basque militant group ETA on Friday offered an unprecedented apology for the pain caused during its more than four decades of armed campaign for independence from Spain and France, and vowed not to return to violence.

Associated Press
ETA, which killed around 850 people including police, politicians and entrepreneurs, is due to announce its final dissolution early next month, ending one of Europe's last standing violent nationalist conflicts.
After nearly half a century of car bomb attacks, shootings and kidnappings, the group gave up its violent campaign in 2011. One year ago, the organization also handed over to authorities most of its remaining arsenal.
Hours after Catalonia's secession move, the Spanish Senate granted the government special constitutional powers to stop the wealthy region's move toward independence.
In a statement published on Friday by Basque newspapers Berria and Gara, ETA acknowledged its responsibility for the pain caused by assassinations, torture, kidnappings and people forced to leave the Basque country, in a vague reference not only to ETA's victims but also to the plight of some of its own militants.
"We want to show our respect to the dead, the injured and the victims that ETA's actions have caused," the statement said. "We really are sorry."
Spain's government, which considers ETA a terrorist organization, welcomed the organization's move but said the apology came too late.
"ETA should have sincerely and unconditionally asked for forgiveness for the damage caused a long time ago," the government of Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said in a brief note.
It added that Friday's announcement was "nothing more than another consequence of the fortitude of the rule of law that has defeated ETA with the arms of democracy."
ETA's victims were also critical of the announcement because it sought the forgiveness of victims "who didn't have a direct participation in the conflict" — apparently excluding those who had been specifically targeted by ETA.
AVT, a national association of terrorism victims, said the statement aimed to "whiten" ETA's past, while COVITE, another victim group based in the Basque town of San Sebastian, said the distinction between "guilty and innocent victims" treats them "as collateral damage in the imposition of a totalitarian project."
ETA emerged in the late 1950s during the dictatorship of Gen. Francisco Franco with the stated aim of forming an independent state from Basque areas on both sides of the Pyrenees. Basques have a distinct culture and an ancient language, Euskara.
In the 80s, shadowy death squads killed and tortured dozens of ETA militants in what was known as the Spanish government's "dirty war" against the group.
Both France and Spain, where ETA committed most of its deadly actions, had been demanding an apology and that the group take a further step and disband.
The official Basque regional broadcaster ETB, which has in the past had access to the organization's plans, reported this week that ETA's dissolution would be announced in the first weekend of May.
ETB said that an event to mark the end of ETA — a Basque-language acronym for Euskadi Ta Askatasuna, meaning Basque Homeland and Freedom — will be held in southern France before the final announcement by the group.
In Friday's statement, ETA said it is committed "to finally overcome the consequences of the conflict and not to fall into its repetition," adding that "this political and historical conflict should have had a fair and democratic solution a long time ago."
There's also an issue of what to do with the hundreds of jailed ETA members and the handful still on the run. Hundreds of killings also remain unsolved and the arms could help lead to some of the perpetrators.

New Articles

America’s Mayor Rudy Giuliani is just Donald Trump’s Stooge Now

The lawman gone bad isn’t making a legal case. He’s trying to get the mob to destroy the law on behalf of his client.

It’s Not Just Bolton and Giuliani: Trump Team’s Links to Iran ‘Cult’ Run Deep

Federal documents show MEK met with top Trump officials in addition to National Security Adviser John Bolton and Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani, seen here honoring slain MEK members at a...

The Ugly Destination of Trump’s Iran Policy

President Trump’s belligerent, all-caps tweet about Iran this past weekend is hardly a natural response to anything the Iranians have been saying or doing lately. Iranian President Hassan Rouhani did...

Iran: US accountable for MKO terrorist acts

Permanent Representative of the Islamic Republic of Iran to the United Nations Gholamali Khoshroo has earlier called for a halt on US policies to support anti-Iran terrorist Mujahedin-e Khalq Organization...

MEK doesn’t look like a legitimate group

Code Pink co-founder Medea Benjamin and national director Ariel Gold dropped in on MEK members in their Washington office, trying to meet with their officials.

Most viewed

Trump’s Betraying His Base With The MEK

Trump’s base would be shocked to discover that influential members of his administration are vocal supporters of a cultish Islamo-communist terrorist group.

Back to the future? Bolton, Trump and Iranian regime change

Bolton is reportedly pushing a plan for regime change in Tehran similar to the one rejected years ago during the Bush era

US Forces Albania to Take IS Fighters After Hosting MEK

“Albania will become a coordination center for fighters returning from ISIS to the Balkans,” announced Bulgaria’s Prime Minister Boyko Borissov during a joint press conference with Albanian Prime Minister Edi...

NATO’s Terrorist Bases in Europe

NATO and the United States, which, together, claim to be fighting some sort of amorphous “global war on terrorism,” have enabled a terrorist group to establish bases in two NATO...

John Bolton – defender of Zion, promoter of MEK terrorism – fees revealed

John Bolton’s appointment as Assistant to the President, National Security Advisor attracted controversy because of his past links to the terrorist MEK group. Now his Public Financial Disclosure Report reveals...